Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Tempe Arizona...let yourself anticipate the bliss...

Finally a chance for me to catch up with all of you. Your messages are so incredible--and make me feel so supported-thankyou--- thankyou all...

Tempe is a great place. Very bicycle friendly --they have over 165 miles of bike trails and some of the trails go under roads and major intersections which is very cool --blasting through an underground tunnel of sorts. more than 3.5 percent of Tempe residents ride thier bikes to work..it is a great area.

Every day of this journey is filled with wonder. I ride for hours lost in thought and find myself laughing, and at moments crying-- Our 2nd to the last day in California was incredible. It was 72 miles of sheer desert--huge heat- huge mountains- huge expanses of sand. I felt like some kind of wild run-away desert princess flying along on my bike. OK --there are occasional moments of groaning and moaning related to my sore butt! One set of mountains we passed were called the Chocolate Mountains, made me think of that great old kids game Candy Land!

The desert has a beauty not everyone appreciates--but nestled among the dunes of the Imperial Valley are amazing small towns, farms, and many cool unusual irrigation systems. Huge crops of hay, cotton, onions line some of the roads we ride beside. I am drawn to the people and love every chance I get to talk to folks along the way. Our leader, Andy, asked me if I was running for office or something. This is his way of saying --get a move on!! He cracks me up, a bunch of us were talking in the middle of a highway division yesterday and he rode up and said "Unless you are having sex at this intersection, get the ---- out of the middle of the road!! He and I go round and round....today he said a swear word at Breakfast and I only had to look at him and he stopped and laughed. Thalya --is that what you did to Rob and the guys way back when they got out of control?? No-- Andy is doing a great job --but thinks I am from another planet! He teases me about "Curves"...and I told him to be careful or I would have him knocked off about 200 prayer lists! Any time we pass a Curves I get 16 reports( from my fellow bikers) of the "spottings" --it's funny!

One young boy (about 8) asked us, "what are you doing?" -- we told him, "riding our bikes across the country"....he thought for a moment and said "Why don't you just drive a car?" -- and then on further thought added-- or you could fly in an airplane! Funny huh??

On Saturday March 29th we rode out of California and in to Arizona. I was bursting at the seams. We all stopped for photos, but then moved along quickly with so much uphill (50-60 miles)time to put in before we made it to our campground. So--I now have 2-3 70 mile days under my belt. These are tough physical days on this terrain with loaded bikes. The guys assure me they are tired and sore too, but most of the time they make it look pretty easy!

Two nights ago we camped on a grassy area outside a recreation center at a campground. this grassy area was too small for all our tents, so a bunch of us all stayed in the rec room. It was one of those "ageless moments" I could have been 12 at a big sleep-over or 20 on a camping trip-- or are we now 40 or 60 -- there was lots of laughing and teasing, poker, Ipod sharing, beer,tea, --a wonderful moment to forget what year it was and to remind oneself of how unimportant age really is...oopps...I am out of space and library time I guess.. By 4/6 we will be crossing in to New Mexico. This "down day" feels wonderful. I am well. More later.. love, Dee

Let yourself anticipate the bliss- remember the unforgettable. Let yourself go....

12 comments:

Beate said...

6000 calories a day!? That alone is worth the agony...

Keep up the great work and enjoy your day off.

Beate

Anonymous said...

You are the best !!!!
And we thought the ride on the North Shore was challenging :>):>)
Continued best of luck and lots of love..........CSK

Anonymous said...

We had a great time this morning at Curves for April Fools Day. (Or at least I did!) You continue to be an inspiration for all of us. We read your postings with great interest and are looking forward to sharing Dee's 1/2 way day with you on the 24th.
Love,
Pam

Anonymous said...

Hi Dee,
I get chills reading your notes and can almost FEEL your excitement!!! I'm trying real hard to imagine what it would be like going from State to State on a bike..when I tell friends about you, they say, does she have a Harley? or what kind of bike does she have?, and I say, the kind you peddle. They look at me like I'm nuts!!
Sounds like a very diverse group, and lots of FUN. I still think you are c-r-a-z-y, but I'm right there with you...
Thanks for reminding me that age is just a number and shouldn't dictate what we can do. I have a Big BD coming up, ugh!!
Keep up the good work, I'm so proud of you.
Love You,
Linda T

Anonymous said...

OK, Dee - this is my 3rd time to try to get a message to you. We miss you at Curves, and our entire conversations are usually about you. Love reading your blogs. You are a true inspiration to us - we THINK about doing something, but you actually DO it. YOU GO GIRL!! Thoughts and prayers are riding with you. Hugs, Carole H.

Anonymous said...

What a great letter, Dee! It's exactly what I was hoping for you guys - the down time being so sweet... Oh, man, you make us feel like flies on the wall. Hey, everyone, we're going to New Mexico on Dee's bike!! Yippie!
Can't tell you how many times a day I imagine you peddling away across endless road...how are your bodies holding up? Last summer a friend and I biked around Presque Isle in Erie - 12 miles and the last mile I was mostly standing. Of course she had bike pants with a padded seat and I was wearing reg. shorts. Anyhow if you decide you need a padded tractor seat for that bike, just say the word and it's in the mail. Dick can rig up anything. Gina showed me how to make your pictures bigger and I saw that little pie lifter that you're balancing on...must be magic or something.
Thank you again, Rob, for the blog site!!This is the best thing ever.
We all get a piece of Dee to dream about and make our idle time or driving time sort of a vacation. Dee, I know you've got months to go but we, in our comfortable computer chairs, are as with you as we can be, cheering you on.
Love you so much,
Linda O.
P.S. "6000 calories" is going to be floating around in everyone's minds for years to come!! (And will we wake up chewing on our blankets?)

Anonymous said...

You've got your rhythm going...we can hear it in your voice. All these people along the way are just as blessed as the rest of us to be touched by your smile and words...even Andy!

Roll on girlfriend...

Love, Shar

Anonymous said...

Mom sends her love and asks about you and your trip all the time. Chuck too... grumble grumble... :)

Anonymous said...

Sorry I haven't written sooner...I'm slow ya know? But I called and talked to Jamie tonight and he walked me through how to write to ya! He sounds great and by all these updates you sound great too. I am soooo proud of you! I imagine I'll have to bring a better bike than old blue huffy to keep up with you girl this summer! Love you and be safe!
Vula

Anonymous said...

Dee,
I just love reading the blog. Thanks Rob! Although It took me a long time to get "Ghost Post" - I kept thinking that you were entering New Mexico and since I visited Ghost Ranch there, I thought this was a post from a part of New Mexico called Ghost Post. Pathetic! Then when Rob wrote that you had the most flats I kept thinking - flats of what? Obviously I need to get my head into biking again. Cheryl is the cream that has risen to the top as she is getting the bike group going, they are riding already.
I envy your trip thru New Mexico. I just loved the scenery I saw there, so different from around here and beautiful beyond description. Georgia O'Keeffe had the right idea - I'd move there too if I could have her house and ranch, I'm not sure about a tent and a bike!
How cut off are you from the world? Do you check out the news? Do you get an update from Rob the news junkie? Are you voting in PA's primary for example? I imagine you traveling, suspended in time, the actual date could be 10, 20, 30, 40 years ago or in the future...I imagine that this is what you wanted so you can find Ty on a timeless road.
I wish I could entertain you more thru this post, I imagine with what relish you must read these, and I'm just so boring here in PA -blogging for me seems so "why would anyone want to hear what I have to say". I am on a teacher advisory team for the Carnegie International and as part of that I have to blog. It makes me laugh to even say this. So soon I will be blogging too! It reminds me of the quote - "I wrote you a three-page letter because I didnt have time to write a one-page one" or words to that effect. I have to admit I have enjoyed reading yours! Reading back on this, I think I am getting the hang of it going on and on with not much structure or cohesiveness, everything my writing teachers told me not to do. I have made up with quantity what I could not provide in quality.
Keep on keepin' on girl. I imagine the mountains are almost a thing of the past!

Sal

Anonymous said...

Dee,

You are truly one of the most amazing people I have ever met!! I just caught up on your blogspot and enjoyed it so much. So very proud of you. Best of luck on the rest of your journey...we will be following you every step of the way. Kristen and Joe Schulte

Anonymous said...

Hey sweetie , ran into your Rob and he told me how to do this so hopefully it works.
I think I've finally gotten thru to Pop what you are doing and he is "beyond proud" of you.. He did call you crazy by the way!

Angels are the guardians of hope and wonder,
the keepers of magic and dreams.
Wherever there is love, an angel is flying by.
Your guardian angel knows you inside and out
and loves you just the way you are.

Angels keep it simple and always travel light.
Remember to leave space in your relationships
So the angels have room to play.

Your guardian angel helps you find a place
when you feel there is no place to go.
Whenever you feel lonely,
a special angel drops in for tea.
Angels are with you every step of the way,
and help you soar with amazing grace.
After all, we are all Angels in training,
All we have to do is spread our wings,
and fly.
Take care and keep your wings dry! Val