Thursday, April 17, 2008

60 miles of sunshine and open road...

Hi All-- I never dreamed I would be on line today. I am getting faster in my riding which allows me to get in to camp --and in to town (if there is one)to look around and maybe find a library! There are 4 of us here at the library using each of their computers --and their bathroom--and I am charging my IPOD! We are a needy bunch when we hit a town! I really need my IPOD at night since I sleep less than most of humanity! It is too long of a night in a tiny tent without music. Last night when we were still at Mt Davis state park we were visited by both Javelinas and skunks at the same time! It was comical....all of us trying to move them out of camp....and then the skunk was hanging around near Mattie's tent.....all of this left me wide awake and ready for the day to begin, and it was only 2:30AM.

The ride today was 59 miles long -- and my favorite-- rolling hills and gradual climbs. I absolutely love riding beside trains! I feel like I am in the wild west (OH-I am!)...I always wave to them...and they always sound their whistle.....

Our "rest day" went quickly yesterday ,but we loved having it at the state park ---today was a great ride --after our first 28 miles we stopped in the small town of Alpine and hung out in a cool local cafe. We are a big family group --so these small towns seem to enjoy us. It is especially fun to meet other bikers...Frank met an man in his 80's who had raced in Italy as a young man, and today we met a nice guy who was talking about his son who had done the first 1976 bicentennial ride that Adventure cycling had mapped out.

We are camped in the town of Marathon -- and lately I have been sleeping under the stars without a tent. I love the feeling-- and there has been enough wind to keep bugs off. I am trying to get the rest of the group to do the same ...and tonight Sheryl says she will join me. Andy says if you do this you have to sleep naked --geesh -- where does he get this stuff? I told him it was his shirt that brought the Javelina's to our camp last night -- message--time for a clean shirt Andy!
Also --tomorrow we are on to Sanderson, Texas and that is where part of the film "No Country for Old Men" was filmed!

Well- there is only one food store in this town and since 3 of us on the computers are cooks or helpers, we must be going-- love to you all--Dee

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Dee
Well you were the topic of conversation at Curves today as usual. We all love keeping up with your blog and the photos are wonderful, we really see what you are seeing.
We are all so proud of you, keep up the good pedalling.
Love
Heather

Anonymous said...

Hi Dee,
Sounds and looks like you're having a wonderful time out there! The pics are really a big help. I had no idea how the roads and hills and not to mention the bikes really looked,they look REALLY heavy!! We all still miss you and yes we do talk about you everyday. What are Javelina's, oh never mind, I'll look it up. Well, stay strong, you are an inspiration to so, so many!!
Love you,
Linda T

Anonymous said...

Dee,
You make it sound easy now! You are so relaxed and comfortable with whatever the next day has to offer. What a treasure you are my friend.

Roll on...

Love you, Shar