Wednesday, April 9, 2008

In the midst of my movement there is stillness--

Our trip continues and our entry in to New Mexico was spectacular! Flying downhill from the high desert region of eastern Arizona to the pale yellow soft waving grasses, farms,pines,and horses of western New Mexico. It was like entering OZ -- it was breath taking! I continue to hold the group record for 7 flat tires -followed by Mattie with 6. Some have had none- which doesn't seem fair. I hate litter more than ever! That is what causes all our flats!

The constant climbing is still the toughest part for me.I am getting stronger and probably by the time I totally master 6-14 mile climbs (if that's possible) we will be in St Augustine! Today we arrived in Kingston, New Mexico. We are surrounded by the Gila National Forest which is the largest wild area protected in the southwest. It has thankfully been protected since 1899, and became the WORLD'S first "Wilderness Area" in 1924. It will not be long before there will be a hiking trail from Mexico to Canada that will connect with the Continental Divide Trail.We crossed the Continental Divide 2 days ago and it was amazing--big blue sky and high winds...Andy took my and Dave's picture at the sign as I was trying to catch my breath from the climb to it.

Wildlife in this area includes lions, fox, pronghorn antelope, and the javelina--and of course tons of cool birds! Much of the history of the 1800's in this area is about the "fever" for gold ,silver,and copper. Tha Apaches,originally a peaceful nomadic hunter/gathering tribe who later fought bravely to preserve their last stronghold in the Black Range, were run out and minors became instant millionaires.The famous outlaw, billy the Kid loved this Black Range area too --some of his best hideouts were in these hills.

You can imagine how excited we were to be reunited with Jeff and Kristina --our two missing riders --at the Black Range Lodge where we are staying! This is an incredible Bed and Breakfast--and the whole group instantly felt comfortable and at home! Last night the Inn keepers cooked us a turkey dinner! It was wonderful and just what we needed! Today is our "rest day" and we are all enjoying every moment of this time! Mostly we are reading, listening to music, fixing and cleaning bikes, laundry,looking at each other's photos and some are napping. I still have no handle on the art of the Nap--too much to see and neb in to! I would love to have a lodge like this in Ohiopyle--do you think Rob or Mary would be my partner??? Not if I go running off on bike tours huh!?? LOL...Again thanks for all your messages --I love hearing from you all! I feel safe. I am challenged beyond reason. And-I am happy for this day off my bike!

Mattie says his bike racing trainer once told him to ride with his head first (be safe) and then with his heart. My heart and head have always battled out this concept...but in general I am practiced at the "leap of faith"...and my heart and my head try to comprimise!

I guess I can't speak for every mother who has lost a child, but for me I have spent part of each day in the past 3 1/2 years looking for Ty. It is deep in the sub-conscious-but when it comes forth --I am looking. I see the slant of his young shoulders, or a boy trying to walk on his hands in the park, a BMX rider, a young paddler, a teenager showing off---It's a flash -it's brilliant--it's seconds. Louis Kahn, the poet wrote, Knowledge is a book that is incomplete. It will always be incomplete. and that Wonder is the forerunner of all knowing. So---I wonder, and I accept the brilliant flashes of finding-- and ride foreward.

In the Midst of my movement--there is stillness in a way I have longed for.
Love to you all--- Dee

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your words, your strength and your courage are an inspiration to all who know you.
Love and peace, Donalee

Anonymous said...

YOU bring tears to my eyes and love to my heart.
Stay safe , dear friend.
Cheryl K.

Anonymous said...

Hi Aunt Dee,

Glad that your trip is going well! I just wanted to thank you for the birthday gift, Helen and I will be sure to enjoy it. I have your bracelet hanging in my car so I'm always thinking of you when I see it. Good luck on this rest of your trip and I look forward to seeing you when you get back!

Sebastian

Anonymous said...

Hi Dee,
You sure know how to express your every inner stirring. I don't have that ability but I certainly understand the words and what you are expressing in sharing your thoughts. I'm content knowing that this trip is allowing you to go where your mind wishes with no time limits or complicated restraints to hold you back. Can't imagine where you'll wander during the days and weeks of the rest of the trip.

I talked to Rob last week and he said you'd be at the Lodge hopefully by the 8th. I'm so glad that flats have been your main delay (not that they're good or fun but I'm one of the world's seasoned worriers!) I almost feel real pain reading about the uphill climbs...how, how, how are you doing it? (I DRIVE 75 miles to work and THAT makes me tired!) But my hidden fears are the steep downhills... it's where my constant begging God for your - all of your safety comes in. (Not to mention construction sites etc.)
Missed writing a few days as Tommy came home to help with sap and he & Peter just took the lines down yesterday and cleaned them...now I'm finishing canning in the house. Good project to be almost done with. The first gal. says "best of '08" has Rob's name on it. Think he'll share??
Love you to pieces. Linda O.

SeƱorita Rose said...

Ma,

Moments like these I have to leave it to the poets. So here are some lovely Rilke verses. May you continue to embrace the beauty of every new moment. Miss you and love you always -Kali


Initial

Out of infinite longings rise
finite deeds like weak fountains,
falling back just in time and trembling.
And yet, what otherwise remains silent,
our happy energies—show themselves
in these dancing tears.


xoxo

Anonymous said...

Dee,

So good to hear of your journey and glimpse the amazing person you are and the special relationship you have with your kids....another poet's words to ponder...

[...]to apprehend
The point of intersection of the timeless
With time, is an occupation for the saint
T.S. Eliot - The Dry Savages

The glimpse of that intersection is always to be treasured.

Stay Safe!!
Amy Coleman

Anonymous said...

Dear Dee,
Your discription of the things you're seeing is wonderful. I'm telling you I almost feel like I'm there. But...since I'm not.. I'll just continue to pray you (and all your new friends) have a safe, safe ride. We all miss you so much..but we'll see you soon. Be safe and enjoy all the beautiful scenery.
Love you,
Linda T

Anonymous said...

Dee, every time you mention riding up the hills, I lose my breath just sitting at this computer!! Thanks for the interesting blogs - we are all thinking about you and praying for your safety, and marvel at your abilities. Hugs, Carole H.

Laura said...

Hello, Dee --

Your best post yet, my friend. It appears to be a very good trip. I am so happy for the insights and feelings that are coming. Seems as though the journey of the soul is as important as the trek on the bike.

Pedal on.

love, Laura

Anonymous said...

Hello Dee,
Your descriptions are exquisite. You write in a way that helps all of us to "see" what you are seeing, and to feel, in part, what you are feeling. How generous you are to share all of it with us. Having read some of the Ride Across America literature, and now reading your descriptions, I feel as if I am part of a tandem team . . . as if I were your "ghost stoker." Best of all is your encounter with "stillnes." Amen to that!
There is an ancient Buddhist expression that says: "If we are facing in the right direction, all we have to do is to keep on walking." In your situation, I think they'll be okay with substituting "cycling" for "walking."
~~~~Roseann

Anonymous said...

We continue to chart your journey on the map hanging on the wall. And you will be glad to know that when you have a rest day, your Curves' friends have a rest day as well. You are winning our race across the country, but we are trying hard to catch you! We are positive that you'll be entertaining all summer long with your stories. Take care.
Pam

Anonymous said...

Dee Dee,

We just wanted to let you know we too are following you on your ride. You are such an amazing woman and inspire us all with everything you do. We are only 20/25 minutes from St Augustine and would LOVE to see you when you arrive, and welcome you to the East Coast. Let us know if we can treat you to a lunch/dinner or just hugs and kisses. Stay safe and God Bless you.
Love you,
Durwood, Patsi and Grandma Mary xo

Anonymous said...

Always in my thoughts...
enjoy the stillness...
the photos were great but wish I had more of you. Will wait to see whats on the chip.
Be Safe. Love, me

Anonymous said...

I loved hearing your voice! You will reach your finish line before you know it now! Wow....New Mexico Dee full circle of life....how many years ago we were there together in a former life right? So many years ago....we are so young....hmmm....I forgot what a beautiful writer you were as I read your comments....now I'm not sure if Kali gets it more from you or Rob? Together I imagine is a answer....all my love...keep safe!

Anonymous said...

I loved hearing your voice! You will reach your finish line before you know it now! Wow....New Mexico Dee full circle of life....how many years ago we were there together in a former life right? So many years ago....we are so young....hmmm....I forgot what a beautiful writer you were as I read your comments....now I'm not sure if Kali gets it more from you or Rob? Together I imagine is a answer....all my love...keep safe!