Monday, April 21, 2008

Del Rio, TX to Austin..the Road Ahead




I talked with Dee last night. She had arrived in Del Rio Texas which is right on the US/Mexican border directly due west of San Antonio, TX. They have ridden over the Pecos River and the Amistad Resovoir. She said the scenery has been beautiful but the head winds have been brutal. They leave camp early, around 6:30 am to get in as much riding as possible before the afternoon winds arise. Dee said head winds make it seem like you are climbing a grade even if you are on fairly level terrain. Yesterday was also the first rain they have encountered on the trip. I'm thinking rain and humidity will become more frequent companions now that the Gulf of Mexico becomes the dominant weather influence.

They are on their way to Austin which is about 5 days away and then another 5 days from Austin to the Louisana border. They have a layover day in Austin, their first in 9 days which is the longest they have gone without a layover day on the trip. Saddle sores have emerged as an issue with some riders but Dee says she has been doing ok in that department so far. There are a number of 60+ mile days in Dee's near future. While I was talking with Dee, I looked at the map on our kitchen wall and announced that they must be approaching the 1/2 way mark soon.

Dee said there will be a 1/2way party celebration soon. Yesterday, one of the riders had a birthday so they biked to a nearby bar to celebrate. Dee, is a rare and very light social drinker but I'm assuming the chosen birthday bar had no Chardonay as she had a beer and confided that it actually tasted pretty good. Clearly, the trip has not been in vain.

She has been sleeping out under the stars a lot lately, the only issue is unwanted visits from fire ants but so far it's worked out ok. I received a package of extra gear and some little gifts for Kali and Jamie, and one for Dee & me. I think she is finally down to only what she needs. I am reminded of the quote that "Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing left to add but rather when there is nothing left to take away". I'm thinking she's pretty close to this. She had a flat tire, her 9th of the ride and I believe she holds the "most flats" distinction. Other than that her bike has been fine. Two riders had to get to a bike shop due to broken spokes and possibly the need for rebuilt wheels.

Dee said she has gotten pretty dark from the sun and that drinking water is a full time activity during the day and at night. She said she had two bottles of water to drink before bed just to try and keep up to what is being sweated out each day. Chapped lips are a constant problem due to the sun and wind. The only thing I can compare it to is climbing expeditions where you watch your body gradually waste away to a point where it finally stops.

Her spirits are great and she has been doing well. Her biking has been getting progessively stronger during the trip. The West Texas hill country is coming up and I think she'll do well.

I had shared with a dear friend a month ago that you would think that after being married to someone for 30 years, there would be a certain resevoir of "being ok with being part for a while", it seems reasonable to think this would be true but I have missed Dee each day she's been away. I think this is a good way to feel. I can't wait to see her in Florida and bring her home.

On the home-front, things are good. I spent Saturday with Kali,who along with her room mate, were extras like me at the Pgh. Airport movie shoot. I'm glad it's over but it was mostly fun. Much to my amazement, Jamie did a total house cleaning on Saturday - he cleaned the Kitchen, handled laundry and ran the sweeper so that was pretty sweet to come home to late Saturday night... and I didn't even ask him to do it! For three days, he was the classic Latch Key kid...I was gone when he woke up, gone when he got home from school, gone at dinner time as well. He did just fine with out me....I pictured him as a feral skateboard child living on slurpees and end-of-the-day hotdogs at the nearby 7-11. This vision was actually pretty close to the truth. Jamie is excited as we have 2 river festival weekends in a row coming up. Take care folks, Best Regards, Robbie

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Howdy there, Pilgrim...we are watching your progress across Texas...what a big long state it is! Rob, my husband and I do disaster drills at the airport but we never get to be in any movies! I think sleeping under the stars is great, and less work since no tent to put up, as long as the "critters" leave you alone! Can't believe how dark and thin you are getting. You will have to wear a name tag when you return so we know who you are! Sorry about the flats but glad your "saddle" is holding up...guess the butt cream is doing the trick! Did you ever manage to stop at a Curves or Weight Watchers...inquiring minds want to know. Watch your nutrition and hydration and enjoy the ride! Love Mardie and Jim

Laura said...

Hello Dee, Rob, Kali and Jamie --

What a wonderful family you are -- always something new and different. Cross country bike rides . . . . movie extras. . . good thing that Jamie is the responsible one and there to keep the home front together!! ;-)

Dee, can't believe you are near the halfway point -- and Austin is such a lovely place (the best part of Texas in my opinion). The card arrived today -- it was beautiful -- and the sentiments precious.

Rob, 'bout time for new pair of sunglasses so that it will be safe to go out in public without being recorgnized.

We speak about you all every day and hope you all continue to do well. You have our love,

Laura, Scott, Josh, Cory and Kelcey

Anonymous said...

Hi Aunt Dee,
I know its a lot to ride a long distance every day but when I think about how you are riding across the USA thats a lot to me. I tell my friends about your trip and they are so amazed that you have riden over 1000 miles.
Your proud and loving Nephew, Thane

SeƱorita Rose said...

Hey Ma!! (and Dad hehe)
I keep getting behind on the map in my room that charts your progress. I can't keep up moving a tac 2 inches across a map as you fly on bikes across the country! haha I am so impressed with how well you've been doing. I just pray that you continue to have the positive experience you've had thus far. It looks like you will! I agree with Dad, it wasn't too bad being away in Spain for 5 months without you, but something about this trip makes me miss you like crazy! I guess I'm not the one riding off into the sunset this time...Anyway, all is well here. This year finals week isn't as stressful as it has been in the past so I'm grateful for that of course. Stay safe and take care. Love you and miss you! -Kali

Anonymous said...

Hi Dee --

I read your blog every day and I'm astonished by you! You're my hero! You are the topic of conversation every day at Curves (but you know that!). You're living your dream and everyone is in awe of you. Keep safe --love ya

Gayle

Anonymous said...

HI Dee, Just wanted you to know that tomorrow, Thursday 24th, is the Curves 1/2 way day of your trip. and Purple Day ? Anyway- We are thinking of you and missing you.
Stay safe and enjoy being 1/2 way across the USA and 1/2 way Home!!!! Love you. Me

Anonymous said...

Hey Aunt Dee I hope you are having fun. it is amazing what you are doing, and I hope you know that every one here is rooting for you. Just keep peddling
Love, Ben Daggett

Anonymous said...

Hey awesome lady......You are doing GREAT and you look wonderful!!!!! It's only a matter of time and you'll be in St. Augustine meeting your family.....who miss you terribly....We miss you at Curves too....!! Keep up that peddling....You ARE everyone's HERO !!
Take Care....Stay safe....
Big Hugs.....Luv Ya....
Joslyn

Anonymous said...

Dear Aunt Dee Dee,
I miss you and i can't wait to see you again.I have been thinking about you, what state are you in?
We will miss you at Reilly's brithday party. I am nervous for my show, it starts on may 14. Sisco is doing well, well I have up to 18 or 20 classes. Keep up the good work.
I LOVE YOU:)bob ;)amber :-0 gerg

Really it's Carly

Anonymous said...

Hi Dee! We had a great time at Curves this morning celebrating your 1/2 way point... I hope you are half way by now. :o) Loved looking at all of Mary's pictures... you look FANTASTIC!!! Are we going to recognize you when you return?
With lots of love and good wishes for a safe second half of your journey, Donalee

Anonymous said...

Hi Dee, So proud of you...You look great! The 1st scenery photo on April 12th is my favorite scenery
photo. KEEP ON TRUCKIN ..Love,Ginny