Monday, April 7, 2008

# 14 - New Mexico and the Continental Divide - Ghost Post

Dee called tonight now that she has cell phone coverage again. They have crossed the Continental Divide and are solidly in New Mexico. The scenery has been among the most beautiful thus far. At times Dee said she has trouble keeping her eyes on the road which I have found to be true whether she is driving a car or apparently, riding a bike. She will send me a memory chip from her camera so I will be able to load some pictures of Dee & company onto the Blog.

They have arrived in Silver City, New Mexico. Yesterday, was a fifty miler but 14 miles of it were a fairly sustained up grade on the way to the Continental Divide. It was a difficult day especially for 2 riders on recumbent bikes which are not as easy on big hills since your are not sitting directly over your pedals. The down hills have been steep and intense. They ride to Black Range Lodge tomorrow where they will have a much needed rest day. Dee is looking forward to getting on a computer and doing a post. I believe she has the unenviable distinction of most flats - she's up to 7 but said today's was caused by riding over a piece of barbed-wire that was unavoidable.

Evenings have been chilly at these higher elevations - a bit below freezing at night. Dee said some riders went to Wal-Mart to get some extra clothing to sleep in but Dee has a really great sleeping bag that, while warmer than she needed on some nights, has been just the ticket in the cooler weather (she also confided that she was too tired to bike to the Wal-Mart at the end of today's ride). She does miss having a real pillow, a fluffy one like she's been used to for the past 30 years.

The group of folks she's with has been great. Even the leader, Andy, said it is one of the nicest trips he's ever led. They are expecting the two missing riders to rejoin them on their rest day so they hope to be full-force again in 2 days.

As always, Dee asked about the comments that folks have left (it's not like she's keeping score) but to tell her that there are over 20 comments waiting for her to read since she last saw the Blog, adds to her anticipation. Thanks for all your support, it means a lot to all of us. Jamie, Kali and I are doing well. Jamie and I are planning a whitewater trip in West Virgina this Friday and Saturday. I'm hoping Dee will have a new post up either tomorrow or the next day. Thanks folks. Robbie

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Dee,
Received your card today -- I am SO excited for you, and very impressed by all that you have accomplished thus far. You are one courageous person. I was also pleased to read that you have two recumbent riders in your group. Don't know if I ever mentioned to you that my husband and I rode a recumbent tandem, with underseat steering (no "handlebars"!!). This is such an inspiring adventure, Dee. I admire your spirt.
Be well.
Roseann

SeƱorita Rose said...

Congrats on making it into New Mexico Ma!!!! I can't believe you guys are that far already! Wow! It must feel good to have all that road behind you...Things are fine here, trying to keep my head above water with all that extra "end of semester" work starting up. Always stressful times...Anyway, I'll get through. I'm thinking of you always. Stay strong and safe! XOXO you're darling baby girl, kali

Anonymous said...

Dee, It's a wonder that you have time to write a postcard or the energy to lick a stamp. I know that all of your butts look like the ones found on baboons, but isn't this just the grandest thing in the world.Love, respect and more love.

Mark S

Laura said...

Hello Rob and Dee --

Thanks for a great post. Dee, New Mexico! I can only imagine how beautiful the Continental Divide was . . . . should mean it's predominantly downhill from here, right? At least until you reach the Mississippi.

Hope you are taking care of yourself. . . being a bit selfish now and again. I know your inclination is to always think of others and care for them. . . but a tiny bit of selfishness from time to time is okay, too.

Sounds like a great trip . . . with a great team!

Thinking of you every day, and wishing you ever forward.

love, Laura

PS to Rob and Jamie -- have a great time paddling (hope it's the Cheat!) We are all jealous.

Anonymous said...

Continued good biking, Dee.
The gals at Curves talk about ya everyday !!!
Can't wait to hear your stories and maybe a slide show ??
I THINK I CAN, I KNOW I CAN !!
CSK
( thanks to Rob for all the great postings )

Anonymous said...

Yee Haw New Mexico!. We can check another state off our lists. And a whole new group of people to talk to...maybe you should run for election! Thanks for the post card..."hearing" your voice makes us all feel so good. We'll all be anxiously awaiting your next post and I'm sure you're looking forward to the day off.

Watch out for barbed wire...

Love you, Shar

Anonymous said...

Hi Dee,
This is unbelievable.. You've already biked to New Mexico!!! You must be beaming with pride..but does your backside really look like a baboons as Mark S says??? Oh, I hope not..I pray you're not in any pain like that!!!
We all still talk about your everyday. Hey today I got to meet Rob!! What a sweet guy..you are so blessed.
Well, keep biking and we'll keep reading..Best Wishes are always with you.
Love ya
Linda T

Anonymous said...

Welcome to the Land of Enchantment! It's been several years since I was there, but the scenery is gorgeous and I would love to go back someday. Jim went to college in Socorro, New Mexico, so he spent a few years in the state. Sorry about all your b flats, i guess you have to c sharp to avoid getting one! At least you are still upright and keeping on...and have done it all yourself with all our good wishes and prayers powering your legs. Hope the baboon butt is a myth...Butt seriously, enjoy the ride and thanks for posting so we can share your journey vicariously.
Cheers! Mardie and Jim

Anonymous said...

Hi Dee:
I think you are doing fantastic I am very impressed with what you have accomplished to date. I know how excited you were when I had my first flat tire on our ride to ohiopyle but you do not have set any records on how many you can get you have beaten my record already. (little humor) haha

Take Care looking forward to the next blog as always.

Bobby B.

Anonymous said...

Dee
You are doing fantastic and you should be very proud of yourself. You are doing something most of us would not be able to complet; I know I could not do it.
Keep up the good work, enjoy everyting you see and everyone you meet on your journey.
Be safe and I look forward for your posts.
Lorraine

Anonymous said...

You are winning, Dee! Keep up the wonderful effort you're making to complete this glorious (but costly in so many ways)journey. Acknowledge Him in all your ways and He will direct your paths! Prov. 3/6. For Your Power, Carol S.

Anonymous said...

Hi Dee--Love the pictures!! Can't believe you had time and energy to send a postcard. Enjoy reading about your trip daily. You are one amazing person. Think about you all the time. Take care, love you Deb Deb

Anonymous said...

Hi Dee
Thank you so much for the postcard and you are welcome. And it is OK to cry. I am so proud of you and your group and can't imagine the sites you are seeing. You take care, stay strong and know everyone is cheering you on. Can't wait to see more pictures of the scenery.
Love, MJ

Anonymous said...

Dee,

Keep up the good work, we admire you !! A couple quotes for you.

There are no great people in this world, only great challenges which ordinary people rise to meet.
(William Frederick Halsey, Jr.)

Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful
(Joshua J. Marine)

As your lovely daughter Kali says, keep on keeping on.

Uncle Dave

Anonymous said...

Dee,

You can't imagine how many people are interested and following your trek east!!! My family looks forward to every new blog entry. It certainly gives the ladies at Curves plenty to talk about!!! We can't wait for an evening of you telling us all about it (there WILL be one of those, won't there!) I have been thinking and praying this verse for you: "When my spirit is overwhelmed within me, you know my path." (Psalm 142:3) What a comfort to know that God knows our path (even our bike path !). Be safe and reap all the blessings and lessons and joy that there is for you to find on your journey.
Catherine M

Anonymous said...

Hello my friend! Me being the computer savy that I am (not)posted my original message under your #8, so check there if you can.Hey, it's a good one.Remember I am always thinking of you and we will do birthdays when you return. My quote for you is "Not all who wander are lost." and keep an eye out for UFO's. Love to you, Gypsy Woman! Mitch

Anonymous said...

Hi DEE
What would "Big Chuck" say to this??
One can only imagine!!Please be safe, praying for you..

xoxo Bill Hawthorne