Thursday, April 3, 2008

After a hard day...Starry, Starry Night

I did not think I would get this chance to write...last night when I arrived at camp I was not sure I would make it to morning. Naw-- I'm fine....but it is an an exhaustion like nothing I have ever felt before. One night I laid down to sleep and I was too tired to take my glasses off. But you know me...I hate to miss anything, so in a short time I was enjoying helping the group get our evening meal ready. Many of you wonder about the food --yep-it's true ...the carbs are plentiful...but still I miss my salads. Two "cooks" and 2 "helpers" are assigned each day, but of course many in the group come to help the cook crew if they have no bike repairs and their tent is set up. Sometime at the end of the day we purchase that night's dinner and the next mornings breakfast and lunch. At breakfast we prepare our lunch and depending on the length of that day's ride it is a 3 sandwich day or a two sandwich day --we get 1 or 2 pieces of fruit--and 3 cookies or trail mix . My love of peanut butter is great, because for the last few years I have had to limit it so much. We carry 3 big pots and 2 small ones and whatever you think of to cook has to be done with that. Pasta, rice, with some meat and veggies just about sums it up. We have some spices, but we have to be careful since everything left over has to be carried forward.

Enough on meals -- the stars are beyond description when we are in these small towns. Last night we camped at Superior, Arizona....today Globe Arizona...and then on to Safford, which is a 79 mile day.

Yesterday was a tough day --a huge mountain pass to get through and lots of construction going on. Just getting out the Phoenix/Tempe area was a 30 mile day. Well--I did it ,but not without a bit of a cry. Honestly this type of exhaustion (and I needed to eat something probably) brings you to a fairly emotional level. What a sight --me riding up this big mountain pass in tears-- really -a couple of the construction workers looked like they were ready to leave their post and give me a ride ...It all ends up making me laugh and my mini breakdowns are very mini --so don't worry! At one point Andy rode up and said, "why are you crying, you did it, you're only 10 miles from town. I had to laugh...10 more miles- after 50 grueling ones is just too funny!

Yesterday was Nick's birthday. He is our second youngest rider at 43. Doug's favorite saying is,"It's all good" --so--the goofy bunch that we are made it our job to say that as much as possible yesterday. Corny I know -- but we thought we were so funny...again, I blame the exhaustion. No cake, but we did have a pack of Oreo's to celebrate! He is a great guy from California...and loves touring. He takes every opportunity he has to go to a museum or art gallery....or stop and take a cool picture.

This is rattlesnake country and you have to be very careful --especially this time of year. We are in Globe, Arizona camped at a cool community center. Our colorful tents are all pitched on a grassy area in front of the center. Looks like nice showers are in order tonight! Tomorrow is 79 miles, so I am already mentally preparing myself for this journey. It is such a beautiful area--we are at about 3000 to 4000 feet in elevation and climbing. The sky is big and blue today and I didn't think this town would have a library that I could ride to, but Jan and Shiryl and I all rode back in to town to explore a bit. We are now 3 days away from New Mexico.After tomorrow's big ride we will be in Stafford, Arizona --just off of route 70.

The owner of last night's campground lost a son (Luke) and she and I were talking about this loss and I told her about Ty. Her son was killed by a drunk driver. I showed her my little tiny photo's I carry on a chain that Maryann Reiger made me and "Anonymous" paid for. They are very special, and I love having them with me. Thankyou Anonymous (whoever you are).. it is a gift that I treasure.

Last night was very cold --once the sun goes down the temperature drops quickly. I love sleeping in this weather. My chain broke yesterday and a sweet guy named Doug helped me put on my handy little replacement link which I had luckily just bought at the last bike shop we were at. Doug's bike is black and so are his panniers --I threatened to make him listen to Johnny Cash songs on my ipod as a thankyou for helping me with my chain. He is a mountain biker mostly I think...but is loving this type of bike touring. The guys play a game where they hide a door knob they found on the side of the road in each others gear...so someone at the end of the day finds they have been packing this stupid doorknob. We girls have threatened their lives if they try to involve us and so far they have repected the warning.

Back to the community center now-- nice grass to set the many colorful tents up on. We look like a traveling circus of sorts...and at moments thats how it feels. We can still often hear coyotes at night and soon we will be in "wild pig" country. They are called havalinas I believe. I have to go love ,Dee (my time is up again!!!)

21 comments:

Señorita Rose said...

Hey Ma! It was good to talk to you today! I am so jealous of this amazing adventure. I'm glad to hear that you are in good company...sounds like a really fun, outgoing group!I can only imagine how beautiful it is out there (and how warm)! Aghhh...I'm so jealous! Don't let those jerks saddle you with the doorknob! hahaha That was funny to me...Anyway, take care...I'll be thinking of you tomorrow on your extra hard day. Keep on keeping on! Be really careful...Much love, Kali

Anonymous said...

By the time you read this tomorrow (your 79 mile day) will be a distant memory.. at least in your mind but maybe not for your butt! Everyone here is having a hard time thinking of anything but your trip and how each day will go. You do have the collective support the size of a large army (and enough prayers to help you up those hills) Thinking of you... stay safe. ME

Jim said...

So, the "Trip Rock" of my touring days has de-volved to a simple doorknob......In my touring days we used to hide five...no..TEN pound rocks in each other's panniers.

Glad to hear that you are below my FTE (Flat Tire Estimate). May the road open before you.

Love, Jim

Anonymous said...

Dee, as Kali says "keep on keeping on"

Looking out at the road rushing under my wheels
Looking back at the years gone by like so many summer fields
In sixty-five I was seventeen and running up one-o-one
I dont know where Im running now, Im just running on

Running on - running on empty
Running on - running blind
Running on - running into the sun
But Im running behind

Gotta do what you can just to keep your love alive
Trying not to confuse it with what you do to survive
In sixty-nine I was twenty-one and I called the road my own
I dont know when that road turned onto the road Im on

Running on - running on empty
Running on - running blind
Running on - running into the sun
But Im running behind

Everyone I know, everywhere I go
People need some reason to believe
I dont know about anyone but me
If it takes all night, thatll be all right
If I can get you to smile before I leave

Looking out at the road rushing under my wheels
I dont know how to tell you all just how crazy this life feels
I look around for the friends that I used to turn to to pull me through
Looking into their eyes I see them running too

Running on - running on empty
Running on - running blind
Running on - running into the sun
But Im running behind

Honey you really tempt me
You know the way you look so kind
Id love to stick around but Im running behind
You know I dont even know what Im hoping to find
Running into the sun but Im running behind


Uncle Dave

Anonymous said...

Hi Dee,
Rattle Snakes,Coyotes and wild pigs, OMG!! Please be very careful..
Sounds like a pretty nice fun loving group. I can just see them dragging you away from the towns people while you're trying to talk! Considering all the stuff you're carrying that door knob would just be like a "good luck" charm! Love the saying you all used on Doug's BD, "It's all good".
After all the mountains the rest of the trip will be a breeze for you, hang in there, stay strong and you go girl!!!! Miss you, love you.
Linda T

Anonymous said...

Dee-

I am in such awe of you! It is such a special priviledge just to read your blogs and peak into your amazing adventure. I can just picture you in all you share. The group sounds friendly. The tremendous physical requirements of the trip are unbelievable.
You are in my thoughts and prayers every day.
Your family is doing such a great job keeping us informed.

Enjoy the ride.
Rose R.

Anonymous said...

Hi Dee.....Been thinking about you on your journey.....I read your blog and comments every day....! I pray that your hard days become much easier as you continue on...You ARE an AWESOME LADY !!! Stay safe and remember there are sooooo many people cheering you on back home....We ALL love ya !!
Take Care....God Bless and stay away from those "rattlers" !
BIG HUGS !
Joslyn

Anonymous said...

Don't get "rattled" by the rattlers (Jim can tell you what a BAD thing it is to get bitten by one! Can't imagine 79 miles in one day, that is really long. You will sleep well tonight! So the guys keep sharing the "door prize"...or doorKNOB prize I guess! Hope you are soon in less hilly terrain, but I know you have a ways to go...most of Texas is pretty flat, so hopefully after New Mexico, it will give you a bit of a breather. Glad you are enjoying the sights and get along well with your group. Hang in there and eat some pasta for me!
Love Mardie and Jim

Laura said...

Hello my friend --

You are experiencing so much in such short periods of time. No wonder a cry is in order. It's just a way to cope for a moment. I was cheered to hear that laughter and silliness go hand in hand as well.

Thanks for taking the little time you have to bike back to the library and sit at the computer. You can't imagine the joy and interest you are building across a growing network of people. . . some of whom are leaving messages. . . but also others, some who don't even know you . . . who are checking in to see how you are doing.

New Mexico popped up in this message -- soon two states down! The thing is, I suspect you will get all the way to Florida, then want to turn around and do it all again.

Happy travels, Dee, keep pedaling on. Sleep well when you can.

love,
Laura

PS -- I do think it would be cheating if you those construction workers picked up you and the bike and drove you a bit . . . but we won't tell ;-)

Anonymous said...

Dee,
I can't tell you how inspiring it is to read your postings! You must know that you are a daily topic of discussion for Curves morning participants. Our conversations center on your welfare, adventurous spirit and most importantly -- how you will look when you come home. I think we may start a pool.
Stay healthy, be happy and know our thoughts and prayers are with you.
Joyce C.

Anonymous said...

DEE DEE
I THINK I CAN, I THINK I CAN, I KNOW I CAN....ETC.You continue to be amazing....and Curves is out of control with fun, loud music, laughter and TALK OF HIGH CALORIC FOOD. WE need you back :>):>)
Take care, dearie and HAPPY TRAILS TO YOU, UNTIL WE MEET AGAIN.....Dale and Roy

Anonymous said...

Dee,
I could really feel your pain when you mentioned your cry on the road. They go away and then "It's all good". Are you drinking enough water? What are the facilities for refilling H2O bottles? Thanks SOOO much for taking the time to include us all in your adventure. That's an awful lot to do after those long rides. I'd probably send a post card after I got home. You're awesome. Love, Kathy H.

Anonymous said...

Well, I guess that hard day is behind you now. Your trip sounds amazing - I still dont envy the 79 mile up hill day, maybe the 30 mile flat then a rest day one. Try for a flat stanley rather than the doorknob. thats such a teacher thing! I envy the weather, I bet you are dying to just sit and soak up the sun! March has been particularly ugly this year.

The drama with Bobby has been high. He had to write to all of his colleges and tell them about his suspension. He did that and I think things will be ok. We hold our breath for two weeks. God I hope he learns a lesson.

He got in to University of North Carolina School of the Arts, Boston University and Ithaca College. NCSA is a top school, some say top 3, closely followed by BU and Ithaca So he has a hard choice if none pull his acceptance. I never thought he would have 3 to choose from!

I think about you every day. It was a great surprise to get a call from you too. It sounds like you are achieving your goals and just think of all the flat land to come! remember to call David 412-841-7806 if you get close to Santa Fe.

Ride on girl.

Sal

Anonymous said...

Hey Dee dee!

Yesterday I dedicated my workout at the gym to you and tried riding the bike. Lets just say I was approaching but not quite at 20 minutes before it shut off I was going too slow and I was ready to quit anyway my legs wanted to fall off! How you go all day, up hills, carrying all your luggage and in the sun I can't even fathom! I would definitely make some threats if I found a doorknob in my bag! hahah (even though that's not funny it was a great story) Hope your rest day is coming soon and that everyone is staying safe! LOVE, GINA

Anonymous said...

Hello Dee,
What a thrill to receive your postcard telling me that you were on your way to this grand adventure. How this resonated with me--as you know, we had talked about doing a similar ride as one of our retirement goals. Since that could not happen, I am grateful that I can read your blog and ride with you in this way. It is thanks to Rob that I am able to get this message to you. I am a techno dinosaur and wasn't sure how to go about this. Be well, my friend, and may the winds be at your back to soften the journey. Roseann

Anonymous said...

Hey Mom!!!! Thanks for my awsome shirt and stickers! i cant belive you got those. i love them so much! keep working hard and have fun, and o yeah be careful!
i love you so much mom -love jamie

Anonymous said...

Hia, Dee,

Rob recently brought us up to speed on this amazing adventure of your. Wow! We are so proud or you -- and wonderfully jealous of the great shape you are in to be able to do this trip!

Enjoy the beauty and local color for us!

Love,
Betsy and Gil

Unknown said...

Dee, We are so proud of you! Thank you so much for the surprise card! We were so excited to get it. We think about you all the time, especialy last night, Julien and I went to the Venture Outdoor Banff Film Festival (we saw Jamie and Rob Friday! Last night was a great movie about a grueling 24 hour mtn. bike race... Even though we were sitting down, it gave us a glimpse of your daily effort and rewards...
Keep up! Love
Jul, Lar and Yves

Señorita Rose said...

Maaaa! I got the package you sent me today!! I am wearing the bracelet right now! I love it! And in my favorite color too! I can't wait to see the pictures you have from that place. Sounds really cool. Everything is well here...except oh, I guess I've had bronchitis for about a month and didn't know it...but I'm taking some meds now so I think I'm on the mend...Anyway, love you and miss you lots!

Anonymous said...

Hi Dee, We all miss you at Curves and can't wait to come back tomorrow to hear about more of your adventures. We I am wishing I could experience this wonderful journey too, but my butt is stuck to my desk at work during this busy tax season! Hope your butt doesn' hurt too much. I look forward to reading about your trip, you are a wonderful writer, you should write a book. You make us feel like part of the trip. I have told my friends to read your blog as it is so interesting. Stay safe, my thoughts and prayers are with you daily.

Anonymous said...

Hi Dee, We all miss you at Curves and can't wait to come back tomorrow to hear about more of your adventures. We I am wishing I could experience this wonderful journey too, but my butt is stuck to my desk at work during this busy tax season! Hope your butt doesn' hurt too much. I look forward to reading about your trip, you are a wonderful writer, you should write a book. You make us feel like part of the trip. I have told my friends to read your blog as it is so interesting. Stay safe, my thoughts and prayers are with you daily. Linda G.