Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Lines across my face...

Hey all, I am finally glad to have a moment here to say hi and catch you up on what is going on. I rode for 64 miles the other day with a re-occuring song in my mind --Brandi Carlisle's , The Story. "All of these lines across my face--tell you the story of who I am....." I am getting many lines across my face....sun lines, salt lines, tear lines, lines that make me feel humble, lines from hours of each day that I am smiling--feeling so full of what I am doing--rich beyond expression.

Our entire group is very happy today--for one, we are being rejoined by one of our dear riders named Dave, who was hospitalized with flu and dehydration for 2 days. We have all been worrying about him, and hoping he could rejoin us soon. Once you throw up on this trip it is nearly impossible to get re-hydrated on your own. This is also one of our days off from riding. We are camped at Fort Davis, a beautiful state park in Texas. It was built during the days of Franklin Roosevelts era of the WPA and CCC and it is a stunning example of that kind of building! I was so excited I could not sleep last night much--so I got up early -showered and by then their was a group ready to hunt down real coffee at the lodge. The lodge is so cool, set in to the mountains, beautifully done, and the waitress that served us coffee has a baby due in May she is naming her Ylsa.

One of our riders named jeff who had re-joined us at the Black Range Lodge continues to suffer from some health issues and has had to leave our group! It was a sad morning leaving that church in Fort Davis --and Frank took a sweet poignant picture of Jeff looking at us all as we rode off that morning. Jeff will be missed by us all, but especially by his 2 riding partners Herb and Tom. We called the three of them "the wedge" --and they were an awesome team! Two days ago I rode BRIEFLY in Jeffs position with them -- thats all I could do --but it was for Jeff! As I said before, there is not alot of room for illness on this adventure since we ride so much each day. I have had a cold , but seem to be fine today and otherwise I feel great. Today we are riding without our paniers (since they are at camp)and what a different feeling that is. I am so used to all the weight --it actually felt like my front tire was loose! Last night a skunk was in our camp and all our food itams had to be in trees since this park has a Javelina problem!

It is sunny today and the sky is so blue --all of us riding in to town today--again- just reminds me of a group of wild kids with a day in a small town to fill with adventure! Some folks are going horseback riding, some of us are going for a milkshake (celebrating our first 1000 miles) some of us going to the local thrift shop to look for a birthday gift for Eileen! I have now gone 4 days without a flat ,so we are hoping the tire liners have sloved my problem!

So, despite the lines that leave my face looking like a elderly American Indian woman -- I am proud beyond belief of where I am -- and each and every line! Riding on-- with love -- Dee

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dee.... Years ago I attended a play called "A.. MY NAME IS ALICE"
In that play, they talk about "life lines " on our face and how hard we work for them, why would we want them removed ?? What a coincidence, that you mentioned your "life lines".
Miss you..... Cheryl K.

Anonymous said...

And we are proud of you beyond belief! You sound GREAT!!! Stay healthy and happy. Love, Donalee

Anonymous said...

I have alot of those "life experience" lines myself! I was noticing how tan you look in some of the pictures. You will look like a Native American! Hopefully this part of the journey is a bit less "hilly" and will give your body a break. Really enjoyed the pictures that Rob posted. I know it will take you quite a while to get thru Texas...have driven thru it in a car...can't imagine on a bike...so proud of you for keeping on keeping on...Take care! Love, Mardie and Jim

Anonymous said...

Dee
I can read in between those lines and am so excited for you and your success. 1000 miles GREAT!!! You take care of that cold and there will be no more flats. Hope you have another home cooked meal real soon - you all deserve it. I can't believe you are going shopping for a birthday gift, I know how you love shopping!!!
Take care and miss you
MJ

Anonymous said...

Dee,

I can't believe you have already traveled 1,000 miles and your writing tone sounds wonderful.
Please continue loving your trip remembering plenty of family and friends think of you daily.
I can't help but think that Carly and Sue would have grabbed the milk shake and then went
horse back riding. Keep on smiling........Uncle Dave

Anonymous said...

Dee.......I can't belive you have traveled 1000 miles already. Your notes give me strength each time I read. Don't worry about the sun lines. The Indians used natural products to replenish their skin and they work.......Look forward to your next notes

Gail from Curves