Sunday, March 9, 2008

Post # 2 - All who wander are not lost....

Ten days left till I leave for San Diego! I am excited beyond words followed by moments of sheer panic. Yesterday I began working with my new bike tools--so my old orange spatter-painted bike -- that often elicits a chuckle from the bike stores it has visited-- is in various stages of "break down". I even took the peddles off , how will I make it go now?? I mounted my new hard core "biker chick" seat on the Schwinn Airdyne about 2 weeks ago and have been working out on it to see if I can locate those still partially buried "sit bones". Hmmmm--for the record, I found them!

Thankyou for all the awesome messages. I love you all for such votes of confidence--and believing in me--and know that on the day when I call crying, I really will be fine. I have been so emotional lately. I once read "find an expression for your sorrow, and it will become dear to you"--this journey is of my heart, so forgive me all the weepy goodbyes over the next week.

It has been fun to get e-mails from some of the people going. There are 10 men and 6 women. Three people are from out of the country (England and the Netherlands). A few are from Colorado and California, one from Kentucky, one from Illinois, one from Washington ,one from Ohio and me from PA. Some folks will be pulling "Bob trailers", myself and others will be using Panniers on our bikes for our gear. We are a "self contained" tour, so we need to save some of our "personal gear space" for group gear (primarily extra first aid, group cooking gear and bike tools). Rob has approached the trip details like he used to do for himself in preparation for his major climbs. He knows every single detail of the entire trip. His love and willingness to help my dreams come true mean more than I can say. Sir Edmund Hillary said "It's not the Mountains we conquer, but ourselves." In that spirit, I continue to prepare. Love, Dee

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Test Comment from Rob

Anonymous said...

Hello Dee:
Great blog! I look forward to reading about your adventures over the next two months!

"It is time for us to stand and cheer for the doer, the achiever, the one who recognizes the challenge and does something about it."

Good luck!
Luy ya!
Linette

SeƱorita Rose said...

hey ma! I got the map, schedule, and wrist bands today! The girls and I will be tracking you accross the country, I with great envy/pride. Can't wait to hear what it's like on the road!

Laura said...

Hi there, Dee --

So many wonderful comments, so much help and support. You will have a wonderful adventure for yourself and for Ty and a tremendous accomplishment to inspire so many.

Some might suspect you might be absolutely crazy - but I am totally jealous of your courage, perseverance and drive toward this goal.

I know Ty will be with you in spirit . . . and there is no doubt that this is all is possible because of the amazing support of Kali, Jamie and, of course, Rob, soon to be our favorite "phlogger." You have such a wonderful support team - none better from what I can see.

We will think of you every day, and chart your progress with such pride and joy.

Please remember to stop in St. Augustine. I am convinced that once you get going, there will be no stopping you!

Lots of love,
Laura

Anonymous said...

Dee,

We'll get Uncle Paul to sing the below song upon your return, Uncle Dave
GET YOUR MOTOR RUNNING
HEAD OUT ON THE HIGHWAY
LOOKING FOR ADVENTURE
AND WHAT EVER COMES OUR WAY

YEAH I GOT TO GO MAKE IT HAPPEN
TAKE THE WORLD IN A LOVE EMBRACE
FIRE ALL OF YOUR GUNS AT ONCE AND
EXPLODE INTO SPACE

Anonymous said...

Hey Dee. I have been enjoying reading about your exploits. You are amazing - but I fear I have lost my bike-riding parter forever - 70 miles in one day! You will leave me in the dust and have no sympathy for my whining.

Your weather sounds so nice - it is drizzling here and chilly. Typical March weather - yuk. When you are over those mountains I think you will enjoy soaking up that sun. David is heading back to Santa Fe tomorrow so if you are anywhere near Santa Fe, look him up or tell him where you will be.

Ride on girl.

Sal

Sal

Val said...

You are a star.
Unique.
Your path is unlike any other path in the universe.
You have within you:
The strength to overcome any obstacle
that stands in your way:
the courage to be true to yourself;
the love to care for every living being;
the wisdom to build a world without hunger, hatred, war, poverty, pollution
or disease.
You have within you the power
to do what has never been done before.
RIDE WITH THE STARS DEE
Val