Tuesday, March 25, 2008

7th Post - Ghost Post w/ pics from Rob










Dee called me today (Tuesday) at 9:30 a.m. her time. It is the second day of the actual ride. I had hoped to hear from her last night at the end of her first day but cell phone coverage is spotty when heading up into the mountains east of San Diego so she couldn't get a connection. I assume this will be an occasional problem.

She made it through the first day's ride and said that the camping was fine. She slept warm and comfy in her tiny tent. She had been on the road for two hours when we spoke and it was clear that it was already a challenging day. She got rid of some gear last night to lessen her load. I asked her to describe the nature of the riding this morning and she said it was like riding east on Rte. 40 from Uniontown up to the Summit only steeper and instead of it being just a 2 mile hill, it will be like this for the next 7 miles.... a steady, relentless uphill grade.

Dee's ears (and legs) must have been burning because she just called me again to let me know that she is ok but that physically, it has been the hardest day of her life - child birthing included. The temps have been near 90 much of the day. Despite her exhaustion, she says she has no specific aches or pains - back, shoulders, neck, even hands have been good so far. Her feet, well they been painful for most of her life and she knows how to deal with them. I think she is looking forward to being in her tent before too long.

The pictures posted are of Dee & her bike in San Diego (she mailed me a disposable digital camera). I told her of the many comments posted by all of you and she can't wait to read them when she next gets to a computer. It goes without saying that the enthusiasm, support, and love from her friends and family is the fuel she rides on.

Thanks folks,
Robbie

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rob...... this is for you.
Thank you, thank you for keeping us adequately posted on your lovely wife.... She's a winner !!!
Cheryl Klinger

jenny said...

We are together and thinking of you every day. You impress us beyond words...
Thalya & Jenny

Anonymous said...

Dee, We are all thinking of you on your journey as we journey around the Curves circuit. We are you proud of you!

Anonymous said...

My prayers are with you as you journey on this event of a lifetime! You are awesome!
Kim Gibson

Laura said...

Hi Rob --

Thanks so much for the update. I have been thinking of Dee for the past two days and waiting for some word. Your report and the photos were a wonderful gift tonight.

To Dee, when you have the chance to read this. . . . we believe in you and in the power of your spirit and determination. You have always said that the first 10 days would be the toughest, and it sounds as though it was pretty tough today. Hang in there. There has to be a downhill section coming soon.

You are wonderful, and have accomplished so much just to be where you are. The photos are awesome! Looking great -- the bike, too.

With love,
Laura

Sully said...

Dee,

We are so proud of you, what an incredible adventure. Please keep a positive attitude and enjoy the journey. You are in our daily thoughts and prayers.

Love your photos.....

Dave, Sue, Reilly and Carly.......

Anonymous said...

We are thinking of you all the time and have a big map on a table trying to keep up with your progress. Just remember that with every up hill there is a down hill. :o) Hang tough!
Love, Donalee and Bob

Anonymous said...

Rob,
Thank you so much for providing us this blogsite so we can keep in touch with Dee and her progress. Also, for being who you are, Dee could not have done this without you and her wonderful family.
Thanks again
Linda T

Anonymous said...

Way to go Dee! You are always in our thoughts and prayers.
You are amazing and an inspiration to us all.
Thanks for the updates Rob!

Jamie Hatcher

Anonymous said...

Hi Rob,
It's me again. After I sent my note I realized you wouldn't have a clue who I am. I'm just a member at Curves that feels blessed to have gotten to know Dee. She's awesome!! Well, I'm sure you KNOW that.
Thanks again for keeping us posted.
You and Jamie hang in there, hope the time flys for you two.
Take care
Linda T

Anonymous said...

Hi Aunt Deedee how are you doing? I Heard your 2nd day was hard bu you made it I am glad. So are the camp grounds nice? I'm wearing your braclet blue my favorite color.Will I have to go so I will see you later bye!

Love,Madison

Anonymous said...

Hi Dee I am thinking about you all the time and reading every word of the blog but I get a lump in my throat that somehow prevents my fingers from typing. Just know that I am with you every moment. I love you. Joan

Anonymous said...

Hi Dee I am thinking about you all the time and reading every word of the blog but I get a lump in my throat that somehow prevents my fingers from typing. Just know that I am with you every moment. I love you. Joan

phyllis said...

to rob and dee,
what a wonderful job you re both
doing,dee i am so proud of you,I
can only think how hot it is out
west. I love reading everything,
about your trip, take care drink
tons of water,and be safe.
Your friend,
Phyllis
mccandless curves

phyllis said...

hI dEE,
i AM FOLLOWING YOU BY MAP.
WHAT AN EXCITING TIME YOU
ARE HAVING,i AM SO HAPPY
FOR YOU.
kEEP UP THR GOOD WORK,AND
STAY HEALTHY.
yOUR FRIEND,
pHYLLIS FROM CURVES

Anonymous said...

hI dEE,
wE ARE VERY PROUD OF
YOU, TAKE CARE
lOVE,
pHYLLIS

Anonymous said...

We love to read your blog. Maybe this will lead to a new career as a journalist!! Fantastic - I feel like I am there with you, but Curves is enough for me!! Keep smiling, crying, praying and whatever else gets you through. Hugs, Carole H.

Anonymous said...

Go Dee go! Love the blog. You are such an inspiration.
I can't wait to read more.
Jamie Hatcher