Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Post # 8 - Exquisite Agony...

I am so glad to have this moment in a cool library in Brawley California. It is a beautiful little town -with a town square and all- and we are all camped in a public swimming pool area. It was so hot today -I can't tell you what it is like to ride in these temperatures. Today was an incredible 50 mile ride, but not such extreme climbing. We rode past lots of farms and lots of border patrol hangouts. In fact some of my day dreaming was about the border issue-- and all I have learned from Kali about this subject. One night after her "border experience" last summer I heard crying coming from her bedroom at 3 or 4 am . I went in to check on her, and she had been speaking to someone "on the computer" who had crossed the border and was working illegally, but lived in such isolation and loneliness. He shared terrifying stories of why and how he chose to come to the US ..and well it was just overwhelming to think about.

We rode through the desert today and it was amazing. Not just the heat, but as the heat rises it seems to spread color across the mountains in this "Imperial Valley" --pink and purple hues--with cacti in the forefront and sand everywhere. I try to pay attention as I ride --I still have so much to learn about this life on the road on a bike. Yesterday one of our ladies going down a 7 mile hill lost control and was hurt and spent a night in the hospital --she hopes to rejoin us in Phoenix--she was probably our strongest female rider. Let me tell you I am out of my league with many of these riders --they are amazing. Our oldest is going to turn 67 on this trip and our youngest is a lad from England named Matt -- he gets to our daily destination hours before anyone else!

I don't have but a few minutes left of my library time...I may try to come back later for a bit. I love and thank you for every single comment and thought. I can't tell you what it means to read your kind and encouraging words. I will remember them tomorrow on what will be our longest day so far, 70 miles to the town of Palo Verde and it appears from the map to be hillier than today. Rob shared a quote with me from Ray Genet, the man he worked for and climbed with in Alaska after he finished high school. Genet would say "the way out of the pain is to embrace the exquisite agony of what you are doing". I will try... I have to go---love dee

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Mom!
Its Jamie, Sounds crazy hills, heat, and biking with people way out of your leauge! It reminds me of my canada trip with crazy holes, waves,eddys, and people way out of my boating range. But i just kept telling my self that i will rise up to the challenges that any wave or hole could possibly bring me weather that meant busting throush it or not bailing when your getting trashed. So just remember to rise to the challenge that all the hills give you weather you are charging up them or walking up your bike! Im So Proud Of YOU!!! Your the best MOM ever! Love Always JAMIE!!

Laura said...

Dee --

Jamie said it all -- and eloquently so.

Pedal on!
Laura

Anonymous said...

Hi Dee,
WOW, you're my HERO!! 70 miles, I couldn't even IMAGINE...
Besides burning, I'm sure your ears are "ringing", we talk about you every morning. Those of us that read your messages tell everyone else what we remember!!
Hey, if you get a chance could you tell us a little about the food...do you actually cook..do you eat in restaurants.
Today, Heather said there is no Van with you. We were all very surprised at that..is it true?
Stay strong, be safe
Love you,
Linda T

Anonymous said...

Wondeful job Dee! You are getting stronger and stronger physicaly as you swallow the miles... Even with all the emotions such a trip brings you! So neat to follow your progress here too! I really wish I could join you for a few day's ride. AT least with are with you!
Yves

Anonymous said...

Oh Dee,
You are doing so great, The girls
at curves so proud of you.
Sorry to hear that you having
tire problems.It will get better.
You will be so fit when you get
back to pgh.
I only wish i could have done some
thing like this for my son.
We love and take care.
Phyllis

Anonymous said...

Hello my friend, it's Mitch. OK, I printed out all of your posts, figure I can take it home and read and savor. (I smell a book deal.) You know I must tease you a little. I think of you everyday. I know, despite the physical and emotional coaster ride, that you are having one of the best-est times of your life. I can feel the directional energy from here. You know, that energy that spirals out everywhere, people, places, things...memories. I am smiling through tears and I think you might be too. I love you. We will celebrate birthdays on your return. Go girl!
Mitch