Thursday, March 20, 2008

San Diego and the new BIKE!

Hi All-- I am at the Point Loma Public Library in San Diego with a few moments to write. It was a long day getting here on Tuesday the 18th due to severe storms in Dallas ,which became a huge problem for flights out of every other connecting airport. I finished one book during this long day of being patient. I made it to San Diego at 1AM on the 19th and things have been going smoothly since. The new bike is all I had hoped for....clearly it is a case of the biker (me) having to "catch up" to the bike! Hey-- it's a great way to meet guys....any guy in to biking seems interested in stopping to talk to me....er I mean look at my bike and ask me questions! Just kidding --but really --it's wonderful and I have been riding as much as possible to get used to it before we leave on Sunday! The weather here has been great and I am staying at a cool hostel (I have 7 roomates!) about 2 miles from the beach. Those of you that know me know that the beach brings out an uncanny ability in me to sit still for 10 hours and gather rays! Well, that's just not possible this time around -- so I have been riding -- but I keep finding myself at the Beach --no matter which direction I head for!

Today myself and one of the other ladies going on the trip rode to our starting point (the Ocean) and then out the direction we will head in a few days. It was absolutely gorgeous --purple and yellow flowers blooming everywhere --sunshine --lots of cool skateborders! Hey --why weren't they in school?? I hope my skater back home is in school and behaving himself at all times!! Last night some of us rode our bikes down to "The United Republic of Ocean Beach" -- an awesome community of crazy street vendors, organic veggie producers, live street music and folks who have managed to find a way to incorporate dread locks in to almost every known hair style.

I miss everyone already, but I am so excited now --and really gathering focus for the first 2 weeks of the trip. I have been climbing hills pretty well on my new bike and I will continue to push myself with that until we leave. The first 2 weeks sound very intense -- and looks that way on the map too! Slowly our group is arriving, and everyone seems great. Some of us are going to load up our bikes tomorrow with lots of gear and ride.....hmmmm...how about to the Beach (should I ask them if we can pack our bathing suits?)!! Love to all --and thanks for the comments and loving support. Dee

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Sweetie:
I guess it's tacky for your husband to be the first to comment on a new post but seeing the "0 comments" made me sad. Glad to hear things are going well and that your relationship with the new bike has been good so far. The house still looks great and Jamie and I have been pretty on top of things. Love & miss you. Rob

Anonymous said...

Hey Mom!
I guess its altra tacky for your son to be the scond commeter haha but thats how it goes. Sounds awsome out there, way better than are rainy PGH weather! Me and dad are doing really good along with chukie. I baby sat today and im doing tommrow, and of course im blowing it on a new skateboard. HAAHA Love you a TON
- JAMIE

Anonymous said...

Hi Dee

Well to be third is good. Curves is still standing. Everyone was asking after you, Mary called with the bike news so they were happy.
Have a wonderful time, we all admire you so much and look forward to hearing your news as you cross the country.
Pedal hard and have fun.
Take care
Heather M

Anonymous said...

Mrs. Curves
(you know who i am ).
keeping track of you... sounds great.... remember, I think I can, I know I can, I did it !!!!
CSK

SeƱorita Rose said...

Mommmm!!! It was good to hear from you today! San Diego sounds so awesome! I wish I were there with you right now...this cold weather is just such a downer! Anyway, I am thinking about you all the time and I can't wait to see some san deigo pics! Love you and miss you so much! All is well here! xoxo, your angelic (most of the time) daughter, Kali :o)

Anonymous said...

Hi Dee,

It is from beyond the Atlantic Ocean and beyond the Mediteranean that I am following you on your courageous and challenging trip. I'm sure it will be strengthening even though hard and exhausting.Take care.
Isabelle and the Dotans

Laura said...

Hi there Dee --

Should have known you'd pick up the bike and then start picking up guys . . . just like the old days when you used to go hiking with Shawn. . . . a while ago -- before Rob and before your awesome kids.

Remember there is a beach on the other end of the ride . . . plenty of time to sit in the sun.

Am thrilled about the bike, the growing group of people and your growing excitement to get on the road.

Thinking of you - with much love!
Laura

Timpe said...

Dee,

I suspect you are feeling like I did when we were about to put on the Cheat River at 4 feet in small rafts. Life is an adventure and we tend not to appreciate the 'journey of the present tense' enough. I wish you well....each day, one day at a time!!

Coincidentally, Katelyn is visiting her sister Rachel for Easter and they drove to San Diego this weekend! It is Rachel, Lukas (her husband), Katelyn, Lukas's mother and sister. Maybe your paths will cross!!

I was checking out your landing spot in Florida a few days ago and it appears to be ready to welcome you with open arms!

Take care Dee.

Timpe

Anonymous said...

Hi Dee dee!!

First of all, what an incredible journey you have started!! I was home when my mom got your package and Kali told me a while ago about your venture, but after just reading your blog starting on day one, I'm trying to imagine just how intense the heat and riding is... I couldn't imagine doing it myself but what a motivation you are! Just to get out there there and do something adventurous, unique, thrilling, a little scary.... oh jeeze I'm inspired! Anyway... that's the type of person you are and in a way, I'm not surprised you have taken this on... you look so happy and absolutely wonderful! I truly hope the rest of your trip goes as smooth as possible... no injuries or accidents for you or any of your teammates! I'll be thinking about you and reading your stories now =) LOVE, Gina