Thursday, February 21, 2008

Post # 1 - Getting Ready for the Ride


February 21, 2008

It's less than a month until I leave for San Diego to begin my bike ride back east. I will be riding on the Southern Tier Route across the country. If all goes well, I will end up in St. Augustine, Florida in late May.


Rob and I decided that a blog would be the easiest way for friends who might be interested in my progress to stay abreast of how the trip is going. I don't have the feeling I will have frequent access to the internet on this trip. I know on ocassion, I will be going through towns where I should be able to stop at a library and go online. Much of what will be posted on this blog will be done by Rob based on phone conversations he and I will have during my ride. But, when I'm able, I will post authentic "Dee reports" unfiltered by my ghostwriter husband.


Should any of you want to leave me comments or encouraging words on the blog, please do. There is a place on the page (down at the bottom of my posted message) where you click on "comment" and can write me a note. When you do this, on the right side of the page there will be a space where you can type me a message, be sure to sign your name so I'll know who it's from, then there is a word verification where you have to type the written letters shown, then, under User Identity, click on anonymous and finally, click on the "Publish Your Comment" button. I will be able to read your comments when I have the chance to go on line during the ride.


So, here's what I know about my trip so far....there will be 16 of us in the Adventure Cycling group. Most are from the US, but there is a couple from England and a couple from the Netherlands, too. There are 10 guys and 6 ladies on the trip. It is a self-contained trip which means we carry all our clothes and camping gear on our bikes and stay at campgrounds 6 nights a week. We do our own cooking but one night a week we stay at a hotel and have a rest day.


I have been busy, rounding up gear and fortunately some items that I need but don't have (such as a really light tent--thankyou Jim) have been lent to me by friends. There are a few items I have to buy like those tight-fitting, padded black bike shorts that I have never really wanted to wear --but I am excited about my new (and first) real bike shirt that says "Ride like a Girl on it"and pictures a crazy woman having fun on her bike! Cool huh??


My bike is being built for me by a frame builder in California named Bruce Gordon. Should I name my bike Bruce, or does everyone do that?? All he builds are bikes for fully loaded touring and I've heard great things about them from several folks who ride his bikes. This will be my first really serious bike. My original hope was to have the bike built and shipped to me in Pittsburgh so I could get used to it before the trip. Unfortunately, my bike will not be ready to be shipped until March 7th, not enough time to get it to Pittsburgh, have it assembled, use it, get it packed and shipped back to San Diego in time for my trip. So, it will be shipped to a bike shop in San Diego where it will be assembled and I'll pick it up when I get out there.


My bike trip officially begins on March 23rd. I'm getting to San Diego on March 18th so I can get to the bike shop and pick up my assembled bike and have at least a few days to get used to it before the trip starts. From everything I've read, this is a major no-no and the reasons why are obvious but it was the best we could do. Rob said I need to think about it as if I was meeting a mail-order groom on the west coast..."you know you have to fall totally in love with it and be confident that any difficulties in the relationship can be worked out".


All the support I've gotten from friends and family has been wonderful. There are moments when I get nervous or overwhelmend by the upcoming trip but mostly, I'm just excited. I'm not raising funds for any charity nor seeking sponsorship. I'm riding for my son Tyler. Tyler would be 21 this year and I wanted to honor this birthday with my ride. I remember once sharing my life motto with Ty, "Be brave enough to live life with Joy"--and I remember his smile when we talked about it. Ty loved movement, so my gift is this ride- and the Joy that Ty and I talked about... and that all of you have helped me recapture.


There really aren't any convenient times to do something like this when you have the responsibilities that come with middle age. I feel fortunate to be embarking on this journey-- and promise to ride with all the grace I can muster. Jamie and Kali have been awesome trainers, and Rob is the best Base Camp manager I can imagine. I will miss my family and friends but will be thinking of you all during my ride.



Love, Dee

27 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just a quick check to see that the comment function is working. Rob

Anonymous said...

Dee...I finally found your Blog .....You ARE AWESOME !

It is just amazing to know someone taking on this exciting journey...Your son Ty will be so proud of you ... he will be your guardian angel....Take Care.."Have FUN"....and Stay SAFE.....
God Bless You !
Luv Ya...
Joslyn

Anonymous said...

Dee and Rob what a great idea to have a blog like this Donalee and I will definitly be watching this blog all the way. It was good to see you this morning Dee. I wish great fun and excitement and take care while riding. See you guys at the end.

Bob B.

SeƱorita Rose said...

Hey Mom!!!! I am so proud of you for taking this journey. You are such an inspiration to me...always dreaming big dreams and chasing them down. The blog turned out great! Dad did an awesome job. It will be nice to be able to check up on things here. It won't be long until you're on your way! I wish I could be with you for it! In the meantime, keep up your training and keep smiling. Love you so much. XOXOXOXO Kali

Anonymous said...

HI!! Kali has been talking about your bike trip for months, its cool to see how its finally coming together for you. I wish you the best of luck on your adventure and can't wait to read about it!! Have fun!
-Meg (Kali's roommate)

Anonymous said...

Dee....
I am so excited that you made a blog for this trip...now all of us stuck in Pittsburgh for the spring can live vicariously through your adventure...and become inspired to plan our own! I think this will be an amazing journey not only in distance, but in spirit as well. I know you will have an amazing time . Take care and have fun!

Love,
Awish

Anonymous said...

Dee- I wish you the best of luck on your trip. I know you have worked so hard and trained so well for this. It's going to be an awesome adventure and an experience of a lifetime. I know Ty will be right there with you throughout whole trip as he always is. Ok, you got the tattoo, you're going to bike across the country, when you come back we're getting our motorcycles! haha I love you Dee, have a safe and fun trip!

Love Always,
Michelle<3

Anonymous said...

Good luck Dee, this is something you'll never forget. I'll be checking up on you often. And whenever you have that little moment of serenity we discussed, I expect to hear about it ;)

-Anthony

Anonymous said...

Dee,

I am very proud of you for everything you do. I just wish I was able to come alone to support you. Ty will defintaly be looking down upon you if I know him, and will be looking out for you. I will hopefully get to talk to you before you leave on this great memorial ride in honor of such a wonderful talented Ty. I will be keeping you in my thoughts and only wish Ty was here to cheer you on as well. He will be with you always. Smile and enjoy the trip, and I am in full support in anyway I can for you Dee. You are an inspiration for us all... Good Luck!

With great love and admiration!

Luke Timpe
;-)

Anonymous said...

Dee,

I just wanted to tell you that you are an inspiration for everyone out there. Losing a child is the worst possible pain in the world and doing this for Tyler just shows how strong you are. Good luck with your biking adventure, I know Tyler will be riding right beside you. You and your family hold a special place in my heart - I love you guys,

Love,
Heather

Anonymous said...

You are truly an inspiration to me. Reading about the journey you are about to embark on has moved me in so many ways. You are an amazing woman Dee and I feel blessed to know you.
I know that Ty will be riding by your side the enitre trip.
You will be in my thoughts and in my prayers.
Love, Jamie

Anonymous said...

Girl - you are just stubborn enough to pull this off. I will be thinking about you on those mountains. You know how I feel about mountains on a bike. You are so much braver than i - you are (as you have always been) my hero(ine).Of course Ty would say - whats the big deal coast to coast - why take three months? He will be your guardian angel, as Joslyn said, and make the mountains flat.

Terrible Sal

By the way - when Rob ads to the blog based on a phone conversation is it a phlog?

Anonymous said...

Dee...totally awesome!!! I admire your determination, courage, and desire to fulfill a totally awesome dream. I'll miss you and the little biking trips at Ohiopyle this spring. And when you do get back, you'll be wanting to ride to somewhere like D.C. instead of Connellsville or Confluence, but maybe I'll take on the challenge (maybe not). Meanwhile, everytime I peddle anywhere, you'll be in my thoughts for sure. I'm so looking forward to hearing about your adventure. Have a GREAT time.
LOL. Barb

Anonymous said...

Dee.... I'm so proud of you and very excited for you! You have worked so hard and have come so far. I'm so happy that this adventure and dream is soon to be a reality! Even on the days that your butt and legs will be sore, your heart will be overflowing with emotions. What a great accomplishment. You will be in my prayers. Experience it all and be safe. Love, Denise

BeBe said...

Been hearing little snippets about this trip from Mom (via Rob' much loved visits to her kitchen where she lavishes her love with pecan pies and apple dumplings=) So excited to see your trip come to fruition. Mom tells me you will be riding through the Hill Country here in Texas (which in her mind is down the road from Dallas, but in actuality is 5 hours away, she obviously doesn't conceptualize the "big" in "everything is bigger in Texas" (as in the state itself=). Seriously though would be so much fun to bring my road bike down and peddle some miles with you but the logistics would probably be too hard to pull off. But who knows I"ll keep tabs on your blog and if you come through the Hill Country on a weekend maybe I can take a road trip and come cheer you on!
Much Love,
Bethie

Bryan said...

Dee,

It is awesome that you are making this ride! You and your family are so inspirational! I love hearing about all your adventures! I look forward to reading your blog posts, and I am sure you will have some great stories to share over lunch at MaGoos. I am sure Ty would be proud! Enjoy EVERY moment!

Bryan, NAI

Unknown said...

Get your motor runnin'
Head out on the highway
Lookin' for adventure
And whatever comes our way
Yeah Darlin' go make it happen
Take the world in a love embrace
Fire all of your guns at once
And explode into space

I like smoke and lightning
Heavy metal thunder
Racin' with the wind
And the feelin' that I'm under
Yeah Darlin' go make it happen
Take the world in a love embrace
Fire all of your guns at once
And explode into space

Like a true nature's child
We were born, born to be wild

Anonymous said...

Dee, I first got the idea to ride across the country when I was 18, now at 56 you have beat me to it. Chicks really do rule. Everything about this trip is beautiful.

Lov, Uncle Mark

Anonymous said...

Dee, best of luck. Our prayers are with you.

Stay safe.

Anonymous said...

Dee,

Best of luck. Our prayers are with you.

Stay safe.

Kathi and Bob Hadden

Anonymous said...

Dee, you are an inspiration to all us "Curves Ladies" here in Pittsburgh. Be safe, keep faith,
and know we are all there with you
in spirit. Looking forward to
vicariously taking this trip with you. Bet you will have some awesome pictures to show us when you return!!!
Love Mardie and Jim

Anonymous said...

Dee: Remember me??? Sande P!!!!
Cheri has been keeping me posted!
What an undertaking; what an adventure! I wish I were half as courageous!! Keep those big wheels turning!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Dee! Good luck for the big departure Sunday! Whishing you the best. Israel, Belgium and France will be following your progress here too! What a wondeful experience you embark on! Yves

Anonymous said...

Many times I wish I had made the decision to go with you... especially when I read your last entry. It sounds like a completely wonderful and exciting adventure. I'll have to start training soon (and saving my pennies) for our Florida trip next year. :o) Donalee

Anonymous said...

Dee
Good luck with your adventure, I know you will be enjoying the experience. I look forward to reading your blog. Keep us posted and I'll be praying for you and your group. My behind hurts just hurts thinking about the trip!! :-)

Lorraine

Anonymous said...

Dee,

Congrats on your decision to make the ride. You are such an inspiration to all of us. Debbie told me about this and I couldn't believe it. At your age girl--are you crazy??? (just kidding)Reading your blog just brought tears to my eyes and joy to my heart. Your family must be so proud of you. When you get back to the Burgh and want to go on a "shorter" ride, come and visit Bob and I in WV.

Ride on girl....and have the time of your life!!

Sherri B.

Anonymous said...

Keep on truckin' Dee, we are so proud of you. May the journey bring lots of friends and beautiful sights of our country, and may the discomfort be less with each passing day. You are AWESOME and we are keeping you in
our prayers every day!!! Love, Mardie and Jim